Sunday, November 19, 2006

Miscellaneous...

Elevators
I don’t know what it is about elevators that make people so conscious and uncomfortable.I’m not sure about all offices, but whenever people who don’t know each other well, are thrown together in an elevator in my office, they don’t know how to react. Sometimes it’s a hesitant Hi and then, they look everywhere except the other person in the eye. And since it is the elevator and there is not much of room for our eyes to wander, we end up looking at the fancy bulbs on the ceiling as if it is the most interesting innovations of the century.
If you have counted the bulbs and yet not reached your floor, then its time to turn the attention to the “What to do if you are stuck in an elevator” instruction sheet stuck on the wall. But again that can only be done if you are closest to the wall, otherwise you might end up looking at the person next to it and then the uneasy plastic smiles have to follow.
But the most popular hotspot is the display of the countdown.
0,1,2,3.. as the numbers slowly roll, everybody stares at it with single-minded focus, as if it was a timer on a time bomb, and one’s life is dependent on it.

Maybe it’s the confined space, and probably the knowledge that there is too little time to start a sane conversation, that makes people go completely quiet, reserved and probably wee bit uncomfortable but it is kinda funny to feel the estranged silence and the way people go out of the way to avoid eye-contact.

Hey by the way, in the course of writing this, may be I missed a small detail. I think I forgot to mention that I know the exact number of bulbs on the ceiling of the elevator in my office, I almost know by-heart what I should do if I get stuck in the elevator and I learn my numbers everyday…;-) C’mon, Lets face it..it’s a bug that bites everybody.:D

Rain…
As the heavens open up, and the first drops hit the soil.. its wow”
“Oh How I love the feel of the rain on me.. I look up the sky and smile as the little drops fall on my face

“Id love to walk down the road when its raining.. and jump in the puddles and go SLUSH… SLUSH.. SLUSH..”

Yeah Rite!
Im sorry, but unfortunately I don’t share any of the sentiments above. These were some of the expressions of my friends with whom I have had arguments at many a times.
I agree that rains are very important for our basic water, agriculture, irrigation, soil erosion etc. I understand and appreciate its usefulness. I also will be the first one to second the opinion that it does make the entire scene around you picturesque.

But.. I am not exactly fond of rains. Far from it. The reasons are many and I have been accused of being totally unromantic and ridiculously pessimistic about this topic.

But honestly, I feel rain also brings about so much of discomfort especially if you are in the city. When it rains, and if you are driving, then it just means endless traffic jam, the invisible potholes that are overflowing with water and the risk of your bike stopping right in the middle of the road. [The last one holds good for people, like me, who own a scooty ;)]. If you decide not to take the risk and take a rickshaw instead, I don’t even want to begin to explain the never-ending argument you might have to have with the auto-walas who just make merry on such days. You might as well pay 150Rs for the place that you would normally pay 30 Rs, or you will be left stranded on the road as heaven unleashes it fury on you.

And tell me, how many times do you actually go “Slush Slush slush” on the puddles on the road. Really.. Do people actually do that???? (Ok.. Maybe I “am” unromantic).

How many times do you just walk out in the open and look up the sky as little drops touch your face? Its ok if it is drizzling, but when it is actually pouring, the drops that hit you are far from pleasant. It actually hurts. Take it from a person who has driven through many a rainy days.
Also the fact that I hate getting drenched is maybe another factor for my dislike of rains.

The first thing that we do when we see rains is run for cover and that is the most sensible thing to do. And when it rains, it kinda takes the energy out of you. You dont feel like going out, you don’t feel like working, you just feel like staying at home and probably sipping a hot cup of coffee. Kinda takes life outta people.

All in all, I get depressed when it rains. And itz been raining cats and dogs the past few days.:(

Happiness Is not the destination but the journey.:)
For the past few months, I have been working on a project that finally went to production a few days ago. But when it actually went to production, I was just left with this feeling of “Phew.. Its finally over.” It was’nt happiness but the feeling was mere relief. For a person like me, who gets excited about things easily, I was surprised at my own reaction.
Perhaps, by the time we reached the production date, we were totally drained. Perhaps, Subconsciously, All through the months, I had worked with that date in mind. Perhaps, When the pressure rose, I pushed myself thinking all along, “Its only a few more days.” Perhaps, I was tired of all the politics that surrounded the high profile project and was glad it was done with. Perhaps, We were tired of chasing everyday deadlines. Perhaps, itz the knowledge that even though it had gone to production, we still might have to deal with the post-production issues and there is a long way to go yet. Perhaps we have been working for so many months now, that it is but natural that we are relieved that things went ok. Perhaps as they say Its the journey that makes you more happy than the destination. Perhaps, I just need a break.. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home