Sunday, April 02, 2006

The "M" Word!!

Now if you are a 20-something girl who has “finished her studies”(Oh How I hate this phrase!!) and have been working for more than a year, and are unfortunately single or “not committed”, then you are doomed! Coz this is the “phase of your life” when parents, friends of parents, aunties, uncles, uncle’s brother-in-laws’ first cousin’s wife’s auntie’s friend’s sister, any Tom Dick ‘n’ Harry take it as their moral and legal responsibility to usher you into marital bliss. Now if you are the kind of person who is waiting for the “mystery man” or the Prince Charming in a white horse (Yeah rite!) then itz wonderful. But if you are like me, who just enjoys her freedom and independence too much and is not “yet” ready to give it all up and would like to prolong her single status for a li’l more time.. then Welcome to the “I hate the “M” word.. Can u please let me be!” CLUB!!

Well.. the worst moments come when you attend the wedding of your cousin or relative.. There.. as you are all set to have some fun with family and friends, and to bless the lovely couple, in comes your aunties with a saccharine smile.. crooning..”Hmmmmm.. Soooooo... You are next.. rite? Are you all set??” (Oh..Yeah Im all set to turn and run in the opposite direction and never to come in front of you if you gimme a slight chance!!) But you cant do that.. all you can do is give an equally saccharine smile and say “C’mon aunty.. Im still a l’il girl!!” And then..Hold your breath.. the oh-so-long lecture of “There is a time and age for things.. blah blah blah..!!! (Yawn!!!!! ) And then as you finally think you have heard it all and you turn.. there comes another relative “Ohhhhhh.. Is this youuuu.. I saw you as a little girl.. Now..Hmmmm.. Sooooo… u are the next one huh??”” (O my Gawwwwwwwwwddddddddddddd.. Help me Pleassssssssssssssse!! )

These people are ok.. Really, They are just concerned, you might say.. There are others who take the concern to a new level altogether.. when they try to “showcase” you to your “prospective” mother-in-laws, or sister-in-laws!! I remember last year When I went to my cousin’s wedding, another cousin of mine was extremely sweet to me and then took me to introduce me to someone.. “Hey this is the girl I was talking about!! Shez done her Post Graduation.. And rite now she is working in an MNC!!” While the lady was “checking me out” I had a great urge to put out my tongue and do some really wonderful monkey faces that I’m good at.. had it not been for my Mom.. who saw what was happening and knowing me, immediately came and gave me the “Behave…Please!!” look.

I think the people you have to watch out for.. are not these sweet aunties or uncles really.. but the ones who have been recently married. I dunno why, the same friends and cousins who spent many a night gossiping and cribbing about how its sick to keep nagging about marriage and how wonderful it is to be independent etc , suddenly turn the tables and are sooo eager to welcome you to their clan! “Remember I too have been there.. so I really understand what u are saying..” (Oh yeah.. So why the hell are we having this conversation.. ???) “.. It not as you think you know..”(Oh.. Now what Was I thinking??)

Its not that I don’t believe in the institution of marriage!! I really do!! But.. Aint I too young for it? I have so much to do in life. So much to discover.. (Do I hear.. “Ofcourse u can do all this when u are married too") Mebbe I can.. mebbe I will.. But for now.. I’m a happy single girl who loves her life as it is.. who cherishes every single moment and lives life her way!! Just lemme be for now.. is all I ask!! Hmm.. Thankfully I have parents who understand!!(I hope they do :))

I have two weddings of cousins that I have to attend next month.. And O God.. Am I dreading it!! :-)

1 Comments:

At 1:16 pm, Blogger Magnus said...

:)nice :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home